Going green is a trend we’re all so familiar with lately. The challenge most people have is not a desire to do what’s healthy for the environment, but doing it without breaking our budget. Experts suggest using energy efficient appliances, light bulbs, and heating and cooling systems, but most of us can’t make such expensive changes as quickly as we would like. So what can people to to go green right now without spending additional money? Here are a few simple things you may consider doing if you’d like to save both the environment and your own money.
- Unplug unused appliances. Many appliances continue to use energy even while turned off.
- Turn off the house lights when you leave a room or house.
- Turn off the water when brushing your teeth.
- Turn down the water heater when vacationing.
- Turn down your thermostat when you are in bed or away from home.
- Fill up a bottle of water and add a few rocks or pebbles (to weigh it down) and place it in the tank of your toilet, safely away from the operating mechanisms. Each flush will use less water.
- Take shorter showers. Every minute you cut down on showering can save you 50 to 100 gallons of water.
If you have any questions, would like to discuss your financial challenges, or are just looking for advice, please call us at your convenience. As always, we are here to help and look forward to hearing from you.