Are you used to high energy bills in the Winter? Want some low to no cost relief? This week we’ve chosen the PG&E as the Free Financial Resource of the Week.
Try following some of these tips to help reduce your energy costs.
- Did you know that for every degree you reduce the heat within the 60-70° range will save you 2% on your heating costs. Running at a 5° less will save you 10% on your next bill.
- Make sure to close your damper when not using the fireplace, this can cause valuable heat to escape.
- Heat can also escape from disconnected or damaged ducts. Take the time to review and repair them if necessary.
- If you are using a fireplace remember to turn your heat down to 55° in order to avoid unnecessary heating.
- Remember to let sunlight in…kind of think of it as a way to solar heat your home. Reverse that at night and make sure to close drapes and blinds in order to retain as much heat as possible.
- Lower the thermostat when you are away for more than 4 hours at a time. The energy used to reheat your home will be less than what it would take to keep your home heated while you were gone. 55° is a good target.
By implementing some of these tips you may be able to save well over 10% on your monthly home heating bill.
For more energy savings tips download the Pacific Gas and Electric Company’s Energy Efficiency Corner E-Book.
Source: PG&E Website
As always, if you have any questions, would like to discuss your financial challenges, or are just looking for advice, please call us at your convenience. As always, we are here to help and look forward to hearing from you.